Saturday, October 13, 2007

the "you are young" comments

This comment really irritates me. Not only do I get it from EVERYONE but I get it from my doctor. Now let's reflect back when our grandparents were young: Someone my age would be considered an old hag if they didn't have children (I'm 28) Our bodies are in their TTC prime in our twenties. Not in our 30's and I'm almost in my 30's. Your body starts to wind down once you get into your 30's. So please stop telling me I'm young. According to the US I am young. Because everyone here (almost everyone) waits till their mid 30's or early 40's to start trying to have children. Furthermore there is good reason why once you are 35 you only have to TTC for 6 months before you can seek fertility treatments.

This comment makes me mad but it makes me even more angry when my doctors say it. I think I'm going to have to politely tell him to please never say that to me again. There are tests he wont' do because I'm "young". Um well last time I checked I couldn't get pregnant so being "young" should have nothing to do with it. What if they did these tests and they didn't find a problem? the fact of the matter is it's my body and I have insurance that will cover anything I do. Therefore I should get the tests I want to get done...with in reason...doing simple blood work to check immunity shouldn't be an issue nor should doing an antral follicle count.

Needless to say I will be getting an antral follicle count one way or another. He told me to have my old doctor do one so that is what I'm doing.

This comment is almost worse then "just relax and you will get pregnant." Yeah I get that comment too.

what they don't know is I've been doing acupuncture for close to 6 months and I went to therapy for quite a few months for my infertility. I just decided to go back to therapy to help me get through IVF #3. This is not going to be easy for me. I hate the FSH drugs. they make me crazy. I also have a very hard time with having to be in control. With IVF you are NOT in control at all.

well I'm off to play the sims. At least there I'm a fertile mertile. :)

1 comment:

D. said...

I think the "your so young" comment coming from a doctor is like reverse age discrimination. It is like he doesn't prioritize you enough because he feels you have all the time in the world to get something to work, where a 40 year old needs help ASAP.

But, don't you deserve to get help ASAP, too? Don't you deserve the same tests and the same treatments?

Most of these doctors probably think we'd be happy with one or two kids, but if they only knew how important it is to us to have a bigger family that certainly puts an urgency on the situation. Each year or two that goes by, that is one less child that will be in my family.