Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Poor egg quality

I spoke to my current RE. He thinks I have egg quality issues. He said my embryos were "iffy" quality. Technically they were grade 2 and the worst grade is 1, however they would have been better quality had they been more then 5 cells. He said I can do the blood tests I want (like karyotyping) although since he suspects egg quality I don't think he sees a point but he will let me do it.

He wants to ad LH to my protocol and said he will up my dosage to 300 gonal f if I want him to but he doesn't want to risk going any higher because he is afraid I'll stim to fast (which I probably would because my body is stupid).

I am meeting with the RE at the other clinic next week. I don't have the mental energy to search out other clinics since my insurance could change at any moment. As of right now I have it till April 1 2008 but that could change any time.

I'm hesitant to go to a new clinic because they have to get used to how my body works all over again.

anyhow, I don't know what to do. I should switch clinics and I might go with the local clinic if I like the doctor. However I feel guilty switching. This local clinic is MUCH smaller and their success rates are not any better. Boston IVF does over 3k a year and the local one does around 1k.

guess it's all dependent on what this new RE says.

I'm so angry right now. I suspected egg quality after my first IVF fails. Just goes to show that having a PhD doesn't always mean everything. I'm so angry and annoyed. I feel that if I was in charge of my cycle I would have been pregnant a long time ago!

Egg quality only gets worse as you get older and that scares me. I'm angry right now. Very very angry and sad.

5 comments:

D. said...

Oh no Amy. I am so sorry your RE told you that. It would have helped it he had listened to you about 6 months ago and just done those tests! Did he admit he should have done them? Probably not, doctors never admit anything.

Well, at least he will be able to treat you appropriately now. I don't know what to say about switching clinics. I can certainly see why even though you don't like your RE you'd want to stay with him since he knows the whole situation and is willing to do something about it.

Don't give up Amy. And don't get too discouraged about this. Sure, maybe the egg quality wasn't perfect, but the protocol he put you on wasn't perfect either. I think you should expect good things now that he is on board with you. Everyone says it: IVF is just trial and error.

George said...

Amy, I'm so glad to hear your RE is finally listening to you and taking some tests. I got the "egg quality" lecture from my RE after my 1st IVF...and he added low dose hcg to my protocol for #2...I think it helped a lot! I did 225iu Follistim and 10units hcg daily...stimmed for 9 days, I think. I hope adding the LH does the job for you, honey! My fingers are crossed!

You sound better today...and I'm so glad for that. I hope you get the tests done and get some more answers soon.

hug

adbwifey0804 said...

RUN to another RE Amy! I know I've told you this before but he should have figured this out earlier IMO. If you only have insurance until April 2008 this could be your last covered IVF cycle and do you really want it to be with your current RE?? I know they do alot of ivf cycles but I just never liked the way they did you in the past. Listen to your gut though. Don't feel bad. I plan to switch to another clinic next year if the FET doesn't work. Hey, if they are all good RE's then they want to see you PG. Maybe they aren't doing the trick but somebody else could?? I like to think my RE would be delighted if I showed up PG at his office even if it was with the help of another clinic because he CARES about me. He has seen me cry, he has seen me be hopeful. I know deep down in his heart he wants to see me pregnant.

I just don't want you to have ANY regrets if this was to be your last covered cycle Amy. ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Make sure to get your thyroid checked out. your free T4 and T3 to see if they might be low. I think I have a thyroid problem and my RE thinks I too have embryou quality issues. Do you have male factor? That can cause fragmented embryos too. Can you do a split cycle with donor and DH? That might help too.

Amy said...

I got my Thyroid (TSH only though) checked right before I started stims for this last IVF and it was around a 1!!! I'm in the process of trying to find a good endocrinologist but you wouldn't believe how hard it has been! I'm starting to think the endo's around here don't want new patients. LOL